Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Surgery is Underway


Not gonna lie, I was sure relieved to see the teal gown today. Being at the University of Michigan -where everything else is maize and blue and covered in the letter M- I was a bit fearful. 

Judah did great this morning. He was sweet and even gave a few smiles. Was a little ornery and shoved away any and all hands and instruments that came near him. But that's no surprise,  he likes things on his terms. 

The nurse put paw patrol on. He liked the truck. And the sheep...which he roared for. 

Not sure how he feels about toys at 6 am.

One last time playing with his big belly.

He hated those socks they gave him. They were a better toy than the real toys, though!

His urologist,  Dr Park, came and asked to pray with us right before he went back. That provided me with a ton of peace, although Judah was more interested in the socks. I feel like Dr Park is a good mix of knowledge and confidence but still humble enough to know he isn't God. 

Prune Belly isn't common, most doctors that we've seen have never seen it. Dr Park is the Chief of Urology here and he has only seen about 12 cases in his 25 years. On top of that, it's a spectrum disorder that can vary greatly between patients and presentation and they can all have different needs. I appreciate that he is cautious but optimistic and confident that this is what needs done now. He definitely errors on the less invasive side when possible and that's a good fit for us. His first procedure today was going to be a scope to better visualize the bladder and what he was getting into before he started cutting.

Judah went back with the anesthesiologist without crying. I was so grateful as he doesn't like strangers.

 I declined the Versed and said I'd rather he cried, as he would likely cry both ways. Selah had an awful time when they gave that to her when they put her under to try to straighten her leg. Far harder to deal with than the normal crying. She was hysterical. Unfortunately, thanks to COVID, no parents in the OR. I'm kinda surprised just because having a parent there until they fall asleep really seems to make it all go so much more smoothly, at least it has for my kids. I know that isn't always the case. 

At 0821 I received a message that they were starting surgery. We expect it'll be 3 or 4 hours and them another hour or two to wake him up and get him to recovery. 

I tried to stop in the chapel that I passed while trying to find a restroom. I was wholeheartedly disappointed in this beautiful space. I mean,, it's very pretty but I wish we could have this for a nice peaceful retreat maybe, and still have a traditional chapel! (Maybe there is one elsewhere, I haven't looked.) Anywhichway, it was a quiet secluded place to pump. Thankfully no one else came in make me feel guilty for that. 

No comments: