Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Home Inspection Day


Well... it's not my favorite house, ever. But it's a house,  not an apartment!! So,  it'll certainly do for now. 

Judah and I stayed in where it was warm and dry while Bryan walked the outside with the inspector. We enjoyed the open space to pace. 

 (And clearly the kids have needed with some setting on my camera as I promise my skin isn't that flawless.)

Overall, lots of little things still need done.  Here's hoping they knock them out in 2 weeks (with a holiday weekend in there!)

And I hate the floors.  I hope they grow on me, but if we were staying here forever I'd rip them out. They no longer offer real hardwood floors, but instead the closest is engineered hardwood. The assured me is never notice the difference.  They were oh so wrong.  It's awful feeling. Slippery.  Weird texture. And they float so they squeak as I paced.  Plus you have to be super conscious of the humidity level year- round. What an annoyance.  

One of my biggest irritations with this builder is the basement windows.   We paid for 3 hopper windows. They can only go on the sides of the house.  3 was the most that we could fit. I hate dark basements so I wanted all the light we could get. 

 They built the floor joists at the same level.  It's impossible to finish the basement ceiling and not block them...but considering they're already blocking all the light...

They have us back half of our money. I'd rather they fixed the windows!  Even better,  we still have to replace the windows because those windows aren't waterproof or something crazy.  What a money pit.

(In CO, we had SIX, HUGE egress windows in the basement. That we didn't pay extra for. They wanted 5k for ONE extra egress that's half the size here. We decided against it and went with the hoppers. I can see that was a mistake. Searching for a great builder for our forever home...)

No comments: