Thursday, November 11, 2021

Try Number 8?

Hamburger buns. They're just always an issue for me. Baking them, that is. Today I decided to use a very highly rated King Arthur Flour recipe. In my opinion they are the experts when it comes to baking and they rarely disappoint me.

 So I start throwing ingredients in the stand mixer...get distracted by the kids a few times...and voila! Oh. Forgot the egg. Hmm.  Well what if I just throw it in now?
Yeah, no. Don't do that. It makes a gooey mess. And never incorporated at all just stayed like a nice, rich coating. I baked it anyway, and it was eaten as a snack but was very dense. 

By contrast, egg added at the appropriate time made a beautiful looking dough. I think my dough was a wee bit too sticky and as a result, my buns were kinda flat. I didn't take a picture but they got eaten so I guess they were okay. (Of course the egg coated bread was also eaten...)

Selah introduced Judah to a make-shift tunnel. He loved it. 


I had a bit of a breakdown last week and begged Bryan, Jonah, and Noah to help with dinner once a week. All I do is cook and dishes and I can't even eat it. I need a break, and there's a lot of other things that need done around here. (Like unpacking the 75 boxes that still need unpacked. Or painting. Or laundry. Or grading school.)

Well, Jonah's branching out from his tried and true buffalo chicken and this week is making lobster bisque. He's starting the stock on Thursday night since he works on Fridays. Here's hoping it wasn't a waste of 4 perfectly good lobster tails...

Mr Climby is at it again. Having a blast climbing into the dishwasher. He was soaked but happy when he finally fell off and bumped his head.
(And yes, his legs are like that from the bracing. Common with clubfoot but pray he outgrows it so they don't have to treat it as he gets older. His doc suggested making him sit Indian-style. Easier said than done...)

Not pictured: Aunt Dianne and Uncle Mickey came up for a visit. It's the only reason my house suddenly because passable in the common areas. May need to have company up sooner next time we move...

No comments: