Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why is every one so sneaky?

Okay, so if you haven't heard me complain yet, my house smells like dog. It is awful. I have cleaned all of the carpets at least 3 times, after dousing them in baking soda. Much better but still awful. So I finally break down and call to have the ducts cleaned. Now, I have a friend in GA who had hers done and said it was really expensive- this was in housing and she got them to pay for it. But I have this coupon, right? 39.99. Okay, I will find the 40 bucks and do this.

RIGHT. AS IF. 40 dollars.

HA

What a joke.

So they are supposed to be here between 10 and 12. I feed Selah at 10, thinking she will at least get a partial feeding and last until they leave. Finish feeding her, still not here. Feed the boys lunch, roll all of the buckeyes (yum for those of you who will be here this weekend). It is now 12. Cleaning the kitchen. 12:30 still nothing. Kind of irritated. I gave up my shower to clear paths to all of the vents.

12:50 Still not here- and Noah is supposed to go for a nap in 10 minutes. He got up at 5:50 this morning- kid needs a nap desperately.

1:00- doorbell rings. Go figure. Oh listen, there's Selah! It is time to eat again. Guy apologizes for being late and I think, "You have no idea" but I am super polite-you catch more bees with honey and all that.

They drag in all of their equipment. And I sit down to try to discreetly feed Selah (in a shirt that has to pull down, not up- go figure) while the boys tear open a package from Aunt Pat that fortunately arrived just when I needed something to distract them (they were trying to watch the workers, but kept getting in the way).

1:50 Here comes the main guy up the stairs from the basement. And he says-"so here's the deal". Not what i wanted to hear. i wanted to hear- okay all done, have a nice day! But instead I get "here''s the deal". I groan silently cursing myself for ever having called them.

Now,mind you, Selah is angry because she only got a snack. Noah is thankfully behaving himself, but I doubt he will nap as it is getting so late. AND THEY ARE MESSING WITH MY SCHEDULE! (We all know better than to mess with Sarah's schedule!) I do not like surprises, I like everything planned. This is not what I planned!

And on top of that, this is already costing an extra 50 bucks for all of the cold air returns. So we are already up to 90- i planned 40.

Back to the story. well, we have 6 mains and x number of subs, that another 400+. As in another 400 DOLLARS. WHAT HAPPENED TO 40??!!!!!

And they have to drill 30 holes for blah blah blah- but he's going to cut me a deal and only charge me for 20- so that is only 160 more.

AS IN DOLLARS! A DEAL? 600+ DOLLARS IS NOT A DEAL! 40 IS A DEAL!

And so I told him- I DO NOT have 600 dollars. Sorry. Not to mention I am RENTING this house, and don't think I should have to pay that. So let me talk to the landlord and get back to you. Just leave the estimate and I will call you if he agrees to pay part.

Can you call him now?

WHAT? It is 2 in the afternoon. NO I cannot call him now, he has a job and I guarantee that he is not going to say-Sure, I'll fork over 300 dollars right now. Let me wire it to your house.

Not to mention I am NOT paying 300 dollars.

Let me make a call to my boss. (Why can't he just take no for an answer and leave??)

Oh, boss says we can do it all for 400.

AS IN DOLLARS!

This guys cleans ducts for a living- does HE have 400 bucks to shell out at the drop of a hat? I doubt it!

Okay, well I will think about it, and let you know.

Well, I can't give you an estimate because that costs 65 - DOLLARS again. (You already gave me the estimate- are you serious?)

So I finally convince this guy that I am not going to be paying anymore than the 90 I already agreed to - more than twice what I had PLANNED.

And i give him my credit card. (Don't forget, Selah is screaming and the boys are MIA- turns out that the are outside. WHAT? Oh they are with the other guy- the one who doesn't speak English. GREAT.)

OH, I have never done credit before. (Is it not 2000 and EIGHT?)

You don't take credit? (My purse and checkbook are in the van- which Bryan has. All I have is a credit card. And the only reason I have that is because my old one was expiring and it came in the mail to replace it. THANKFULLY!)

Oh, no, we do. I just prefer the green stuff. (As in CASH? For 600 DOLLAR transactions? That were advertised as 40 dollars? He is serious.)

20 minutes later, he has kind of figured it out, he had to rub my credit card on the piece of paper, but couldn't get a good rub. (Like you do at the Vietnam Wall, but without the crayon. Wacko company)

Then he calls in to get the approval. And tells them that it's just a little one. only 89.99.

WHAT? 90 DOLLARS is a lot of money to me MR Moneybags! And it was supposed to be even littler. As in 40. PUNK.

Finally they leave, and I get Noah in his room and feed Selah. Life is a bit better. Besides the mess. Did i ever tell you the story about the time my coffee make broke, and 8 cups of coffee leaked all over my counter-the one covered in 3 months worth of mail- and I decided that I was too tired to clean it up at 8 o'clock at night when I had a 4 day old baby (and no coffee)? Hmm, yeah, finally got to that today. Anyone know how to get coffee stains off of a Formica counter top? Feel free to let me know if you do....

And Noah is still awake up there, it is now 3:51. No nap today!:)

3 comments:

Love of lilacs said...

OMG! You poor thing. What a awful day!

Strawser 6 said...

wait...so he was going to charge you hundreds of dollars...and finally dd all of the work for $90. So he was basically going to pocket all the money? Or did he not do everything he said.
So ridiculous!

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

Ok, I had to read this. This is Allie Brown (from Allie Brown's Layouts). I got a comment from Jaclyn who sent me over to your blog (as you had "cyberduced" me to her).

Anyways! That story totally sucks!

My hubby's a carpet cleaner and the price he gives you IS the price you get. We also found this youtube video were people are getting scammed. And I hate to say it, but I bet you were getting scammed too! The guy was probably loving making you uncomfortable and driving you kids nuts in hopes that you'd just "give up" and pay him his money.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kl1fPiTcPs

I say you should tell the news and get them BUSTED!