Friday, November 21, 2008

Sweet Potato Casserole

So every year around this time, my phone rings way more than normal, and I get lots of extra emails. ALL for this recipe. Not that I don't love talking to everyone, so feel free to call anyway, but I thought I would share this with everyone. The short story behind this is: We moved to GA, a few weeks before Thanksgiving. Bryan decided to sign me up for sweet potato casserole for the unit Thanksgiving get-together. I FREAKED! I don't even LIKE sweet potatoes. And I don't like MARSHMALLOWS, either! SO... I went searching for a recipe, hoping not the embarrass the both of us, being new and all. It is AMAZING! We eat this often during the year- pretty much anytime we have turkey. The boys devour it. And I have never had so many requests for a recipe. I am not joking that people track me down for it. So try it out and let me know what you think. We'll be having it here- and all are welcome to join us!
Sweet Potato Casserole II
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes Yields: 16 servings

INGREDIENTS:
4 1/2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cold stick butter
1 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and flour. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture is crumbly, then stir in pecans. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the sweet potatoes.
3. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
By the way, the recipe is from http://www.allrecipes.com/ which is the best recipe website EVER! I get most of my recipes from it- they are all peer-reviewed (so to speak)- so you kind of know what you are getting into before you start.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE AllRecipies.com too! The Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread and Pork Chops with Raspberry Sauce are two of the best recipies, EVER. Plus, I love the feature where you can custimize your serving sizes.

Mandy said...

Hey there, Wilhelmsy folk. I don't mind your comments. Thanks for making them. I have looked over your blog as well. It seems like you very much have a full and entertaining life. I appreciate the interest and encouragement, though. Thank you. What's your name, Mrs. Wilhelm?

Melissa Walton said...

Thanks for that recipe. I've eaten it several different places and I love it - and I keep wanting to make it. Selah is looking like such a little cutie!