Friday, April 24, 2020

We May Be Starting to Go a Little Crazy Over Here...

This was the line for Tader Joe's today. It's hard to see, but Trader Joe's is at the end of the strip, by that far building. Being that we were all social distancing, it wasn't as bad as it looks, only took about 20 minutes to wait. It's a small store, so they limit the guests to 25. 


Thankfully, I was able to procure everything I needed besides cornstarch and salt (of all things.  Apparently, cornstarch is only sold at Thanksgiving time and salt is only sold in a grinder... and I don't prefer to grind my own salt for baking.) 

I then stopped at the Dollar Tree, assuming I could get those items.  Salt, they had. Cornstarch, they didn't.  So that ruins the Saturday morning breakfast of Cherry Turnovers thay Chef Noah planned to treat us to. I fear they'll be quite messy with no cornstarch.  

This afternoon, the tennis courts were free and we headed over for some soccer. It's been raining for most of the past few days, so playing elsewhere would be messy. Selah did come join us and Elijah  is the MVP because that kid is everywhere with passion.  He clearly isn't getting enough opportunities to burn off energy these days!

A friend of Selah's has started up Zoom cooking meetings on Fridays.  Today they all made brownies together.  Selah added "candy coated chocolates" (aka M&Ms. I finally found them while waiting to check out at TJ. She was so happy.)
Apparently, it is important to taste-test straight out of the oven before Mom can even take a picture.

While Selah was willing to make the brownies GF for Micah,  Micah doesn't like chocolate. So we had found a GF lemon cake mix at Aldi recently and he decided to make that. 

He added a lemon frosting and it was a winner.  More people choose that than brownies! It didn't taste GF at all.  

This is Chef Noah's piece with strawberries to enhance that lemon flavor. 

In between the baking and eating of dessert, there was dinner. Bryan, Micah, and Jonah are on a shrimp kick.  Bryan had a trip to Florida recently and had Yucatan Shrimp and loved it so much he wanted to recreate it. So he did last week while I was gone. They devoured it in quick order while Elijah ate pierogi. They said 2 pounds wasn't enough. So this time I bought 3 pounds... against my better judgement as we could have all had steak for that price! It was a win again, they ate all 3 pounds.  But I think maybe next time they could eat more sides and less shrimp. Just my opinion...



Then, there was this. I think he's starting to lose his mind. 

He said, "what if I rub this sauce in my hair?!?"

And we all looked at him like he was crazy. So he did it. 

Truthfully, that worked better on those cowlicks than most hair gels.

While he showered, these two worked on new tricks as we all watched the second round of the draft.


No comments: