Sunday, April 19, 2020

Back to VA

We started our day nice and early.  I got up at 2. The kids at 0315. But 0336 we were on our way to the airport. It was an interesting drive. The kids were clearly delusional from lack of sleep and spent the entire 90 minute drive talking nonsense. I leaned about lightning deer. Deer pilots. Deer taking over the world. Middle of the night treks back to Michigan, and other random chaos.

Blessedly, we hit no deer on the way and got there plenty early. There are so few travelers that you needn't wait for bag check-in or security.  And, as luck would have it, McDonald's was open...but as we walked there we saw Dunkin' Donuts was, too. While I was terribly disappointed in the selection as there were no cream filled donuts, the kids didn't complain at the meager choices and happily enjoyed the surprise breakfast!

We sat to wait for our flight, and Selah announced she thought our animal this time was a whale shark.  She asked that I zoom in. 

I was still clueless, but upon boarding, we learned she was right.  Baha the Whale Shark was indeed our mascot.  

I hoped for a view of the sunrise from the air, but had to settle for the air traffic control tower as my foreground. 

We thought we were doing well, abiding by the suggestion that we wear masks while traveling. 

Then I stood up so the kids could switch seats.  I about fell over when I noticed this guy behind me. He wasn't playing around.  Also,  count including flight attendants? 34. Busiest flight in weeks.  

After searching seats, she mostly got clouds.  

But then some gems. Not sure what this is.  Or where it is. But it was neat!

Then we noticed sonmething that looked familiar. Could it be Great Falls? I do believe it may be. 

Then, there was Arlington. 

Followed by the Pentagon. 

And left of center,  the Air Force Memorial. (Silver spikes in the air. )

As we approached the baggage claim, 
 Noah says to me, "I can't wait to come back here when I turn 18!" 
What a bizarre statement, I thought. 
"Why is that?"
"Because the sign says to not let children play on the baggage claim. But I won't be a child anymore, so clearly I'll be allowed!"


He further lamented that there were footprints on the belt, so clearly it wasn't a big deal and he should violin on to see what the hold up was. A few bags came around but then ther belt continued bagless for a good 20 minutes. Turns out something got stuck and jammed the whole machine. Given the length of delay, I was glad it wasn't my bag since I didn't know if it would have survived that ordeal!

There's no Coronavirus on the floor of an airport, is there? Shudder. 

After a bit of lunch, we headed out for fresh air. Bryan had hoped to play soccer-tennis on the courts behind our apartment complex (that belong to the next complex but are not secured.) Sadly, someone got there between the time he left there apartment and arrived. (We can see them from the balcony.) So we watched Mass... and they were still there. We finally gave up and looked for a new venue.  We found courts via google maps photos away the middle school. But they were locked up. 
However, there was a great little ball field that wasn't! So we had a fun, family game of kickball instead.  

Someone was grilling pork chops. It smelled heavenly.  I think the kids were trying to identify the location.  

We were shocked to pull in and see so many cars.  We couldn't figur out was what going on. Only a few people were visible to us... those playing soccer at the upper right.  Someone running laps around the area.  A family on the other ball field. 

But when we left, we realized the people from all those cars were all down the hill at the football field. I was grateful we found a quiet area where we could play on our own!


No comments: