Saturday, March 31, 2012

Is it Bedtime, Yet?

Miss Selah left dinner, washed herself up, and disappeared. She reappeared a few minutes later- dressed for bed. She then asks "is it bedtime, yet?"
Me: Well, it could be. Are you ready for bed?
Selah: Yep! Will you brush my teeth, please?
Me: Sure.

So I brush her teeth and she picks up the ipod, blabs about it for a minute and then says "are you done brushing my teeth? Can I go to bed now?"

Far be it for me to prevent a child from going to bed! I put her to bed and then come back downstairs to give Micah his medicine and brush his teeth. Add in a diaper change and some teeth brushing and it's been 15 minutes or so. I take him upstairs and as I enter his room something flashes past me. It's Selah, mumbling "I've got to go to bed!" as she passes me. Oh dear. This could be scary. My sewing stuff is in Micah's closet (up high, but she climbs.) There's also diaper rash cream and lotion in the closet and toothpaste hidden in one of his drawers. Not to mention she's been known to empty dresser drawers for entertainment. So before I even look, I track her down and ask her what she was doing.

Selah: I've GOT to go to bed!
Me: I won't stop you from going to bed, I just wondered what you were doing in there.
Selah: I was just building a fence for Mikey's little people! I have to go to bed now!
Me: oh, well. Go to bed and I'll be in there to say prayers in just a minute.

Guess she showed me. I wish I had it on video, though. She was very suspicious. And after reading to Micah and putting him to bed, I find Selah playing in her closet. Funny that a child so anxious to get to bed was still wandering around 40 minutes later. She did go right to sleep after a story and prayer, though. Oh, and fresh water, of course. You never know what she's going to ask for when she cries after you tuck her in. Water, dolls, get rid of the scary stuffed animals, her light on, her light off, a different blanket...you name the excuse, she's likely used it. Blessedly, she tends to only "need" one thing per night.


No comments: