Thursday, July 31, 2014

My Right Hand

Jonah's always been helpful. When you're the oldest of 5 and the next in line is 4 years younger,  that's probably to be expected.  And he really had to man up when his dad was deployed. He did awesome.  I couldn't have survived without him.  Since his dad has been home,  less has been expected of him.  And I'm sure he's enjoyed being more of a child again.

This past Tuesday,  I had to call Verizon about problems I was having with my cell phone.  If you've ever had children, you'll know that's secret code for bug mom. So I hid in my bedroom and told Jonah to man the fort. All was fine for 5 minutes, until someone answered my call and the kids heard me talking. Then secret-kid-code-rules dictated that they scream outside my door. And I mean scream. But I could hear that they were mad not hurt and know Jonah would tell me if there was a problem. (So I hid in my bathroom. )

After about a half hour, (no joke, Selah and Micah were outside my door fighting and screaming mom for a half hour straight) I heard Jonah tell them to be quiet because the baby was asleep. I look at the baby monitor,  and sure enough,  I see Jonah climb back into bed with Elijah.  Who was alseep.  He said he was crying with Selah and Micah so he picked him up and he laid on his chest so he brought him upstairs and he went right to sleep.  This was incredible since I ended up on the phone for 2.5 hours. (At which point it was made clear that the phone just needed replaced.) I feel so blessed to have such a kind, helpful, giving, and selfless almost-teenager in my house!

No comments: