Sunday, October 18, 2009

Giving in...

I have finally given in. After only 3 years, and countless reminders of how we are the ONLY family that doesn't have a Wii (yeah, right. We'll just not count all those families who can't afford to feed their kids,) I have decided to allow it.
Under one condition. I'm not paying for it or any of the things that go with it. (And by I, I mean WE, as in Bryan and I.) So the boys have worn me down, and they are allowed to buy themselves a Wii.
I'm sure you can imagine that they are ecstatic. They even saved what was left of their birthday money to put with their Christmas money in hopes that they will have enough to buy one after Christmas. I'm totally impressed with their self-restraint and dedication to the goal, actually. I mean, Noah's 4. And he chose to save his money, even though we were at Toys R Us and he could have gotten a new toy! Maybe, just maybe, I can turn this into a learning experience on responsibility??? One can hope...


When searching for a picture of the Wii, I came across this article from Fox News last December. Found it pretty funny...great reminder to stretch before exercising, even if by Wii.
"Up to ten people a week are being hospitalized with injuries caused by playing Nintendo Wii games, prompting doctors in Britain to issue warnings of the dangers associated with the video game system.
"There has been a 100 percent increase in patients complaining of Wii-itis," Dr. Dev Mukerjee of Broomfield Hospital, Essex, told The Sun newspaper.
Most patients are admitted after playing tennis or running games which involve sudden movements, resulting in tendon stretching or tearing.
"It's possible Wii-itis may lead to rheumatism or arthritis later in life. Patients often have inflammation of the shoulder or wrist," said Dr. Mukerjee.
Another common injury is dubbed Wii-knee, blamed on the bending of the knee from the Wii-Fit game. This involves a special platform and a series of movements ranging from yoga to strength-training moves.
In extreme cases, the kneecap can be dislocated or pop out of joint.
Doctors treat Wii-knee with cortisone injections, icing, and anti-inflammatory painkillers. Treatment can last for three months.
So, what to do?
As with any exercise program, doctors advise stretching exercises before play."
And for ONLY $15,000 USD...one can have a Star Wars Wii Console. Sorry boys, I'm thinking that's a little out of your price range, at least if you are hoping to buy one this year!

I also "gave in" and bought them some 3-D sidewalk chalk this week, since they have been begging since it came out in the Spring, and it was finally on clearance. Jonah wanted me to take a picture with the camera using the glasses...
Much to his disappointment, it did not seem to work. ( I think that you really do need two "eyes" for the whole 3-D thing.)

Noah, looking cool in his glasses.

And, not to be left out, Jonah looking cool in his!


Total side note...
raw potato that falls below burner should probably be removed immediately.
It actually was glowing red.
As in on fire.
Who knew?
Sadly, the picture did not come out that well. But I assure you, it looked just like a little log smoldering in a fire. Kind of scary, I would assume it could have actually burst into flames given enough time. Will have to research this...
(I was cooking on this burner, obviously.)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'll have to give you some WII tips to save some $$...we got ours when they first came out. We werent one of those crazy people standing in line, and really had no intention of buying one. But when we were in the shoe department at the PX, we saw one on the bottom shelf kind of hidden. (someone's poor attempt at stashing it until they had the $$). So my hubby just HAD to have it, and ruined some kids plan.
We all love it, and play it as a family a lot. BUT, we have learned a few lessons over the years.

The Wilhelms said...

This sounds exactly like what would happen in our house! Let me know your lessons and tips!