Friday, May 16, 2014

A Big, Fat Lip

Elijah was running on the sidewalk yesterday (yes, we tell him not to run, he's one. He doesn't understand why that's bad. Or he didn't.) While he was running, his foot caught on uneven pavement and he fell. Hard. I didn't see any of it, Jonah was outside with him, so when he came in gushing blood I was quite concerned. I was surprised by the amount of blood, that did eventually stop, but when I finally was able to look in his mouth late last night, I saw the skin between the top lip and gums was torn. Apparently it's called the Maxillary frenum and when it is torn it bleeds a lot. That explains that. What I read is that it's a common injury in toddlers and it usually grows back. Whew.

Praying that his teeth are fine, the swelling is far worse than it looks in the pictures. He's not a pretty baby right now! He's been a little clingier, but he's eating fine so that a relief.

No comments: