Friday, January 16, 2009

My poor child's life is ruined...

Okay, maybe that is a little melodramatic.
Tonight, Bryan was bathing the boys while sweet little Selah was, as usual, refusing to eat.
And I hear...
"If there is no such thing as magic, is Santa really the Tooth Fairy?"
Oh Dear. Just ignore him, Bryan, I think to myself.
Well the next thing I know, Jonah comes into Selah's room and has a goofy grin on his face.
And then he says:"I know the truth about the Tooth Fairy."
"BRYAN!" I growl.
And then there's Bryan, with an equally goofy grin on his face.
"What?" says he, trying for innocence.
HA. He looks guiltier than the Devil himself.
And then Bryan says, "He was asking questions, and he's a smart kid. He was going to figure it out himself! I didn't think we should lie to the kid anymore."
(Note: I was tired of the Santa Claus thing this past year, and Bryan gave me the guilt trip about how fun Santa is for a little kid. Gee, guess he changed his mind right quick!)
Jonah, "I know about Santa Claus, too." Small smile playing at his lips.
I roll my eyes and glare at Bryan.
We do family prayer, all the while Jonah looking goofy, and then put the boys to bed.
And Jonah says, "Do you have any more secrets? Because if you do, I don't want to know them."
Bryan stays quiet, and I hiss, "Keep your mouth shut."
And a minute later Jonah says, " I know what else." He is not looking so smug this time. "The Easter Bunny." He looks like he just lost his best friend. But then, he pretty much did, with the whole Santa thing.
I sigh, and say good night.
We go downstairs with Selah and then Jonah comes down to tattle on Noah for kicking the bed, and says "I know what else isn't real. The Elf."
And there you have it folks. In less than a half hour, all of his childhood dreams have shattered around him. Poor kid.
Now we just have to keep him from ruining it for his siblings.
SIGH...

2 comments:

Strawser 6 said...

No....he's not old enough to know the truth! AAGGHHH!!!! So that's what I have to look forward to? Is believing in a 'story' really all that bad? Thanks Bryan - and dont let your kids around mine when it's a holiday season!

Love of lilacs said...

awwww. I would HAVE killed Frank.