Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Shrove Tuesday! Fat Tuesday! Mardi Gras! Or...in Detroit...Paczki Day!

Now like the good Polish-AMERICAN that I am, I prefer the Italian variation. No prunes or jam here. 🤢
We have tried variations from 2 well-known Polish Bakeries in past years, but the Italian bakery has my heart. Cannoli cream is my fave, but this year they also have TIRAMISU! (Closet Italian here. Do you think 23 and me would find my heritage to vary from what I was told I was?)

Both were fab, but their coffee was awful. I hope it is not indicative of real Italian coffee, I may die in Italy. I ordered a mocha and I'm not convinced there was chocolate or coffee in it. It tasted like warm milk, though the color was slightly indicative of one of those aforementioned substances having been added. It was certainly not worth the calories, so Jonah took it to work. We shall see if it contained coffe if he falls asleep before lunch or not.

*Perhaps of an interesting note, according to the local news here, a paczki can contain up to 1000 calories and EIGHTY grams of fat*
Jude joined me on our early am adventure. And was rewarded with not only those bagel things with a hole in the middle (donuts) but also a lollipop. He didn't want his lollipop to get snowed on, and "protected" it. After which he announced he needed a little bath when we got home. Swell.

We settled for a good handwashing, and one of those "bagel things with the hole in the middle."


Unrelated, Randazzo's is such a fun place to wander. (And expensive. Six paczki, Seventeen dollars. My total? 75. I should keep my visits to once a year!)

However, We found so many great things. Choo-choo wheel pasta, fresh bread that was still warm, fresh bagels (not as good as homemade but not bad,) real Italian canned tomatoes,  and.... cheese. 

Brick cheese is what I grew up on. It's also actually what they put on Detroit Style pizza. It's sooooo good. Honestly, it doesn't have much flavor, it's just creamy and mild. There's nothing not to like. ( I should mention that I do believe brick is widely available here, but it isn't at the Commissary which is where I normally buy lunch meat, so it always feels like a special treat when i find it.)
I'd never seen Tuma cheese, but it was popular enough to be in the section that was already sliced. When I saw it was a Wisconsin cheese, I had to try it. Not because I think Wisconsin cheese is superior, but because I have a friend from WI and thought it may be like what she grew up on...or something. We shall see what she says....

Well, to compare, the left  is Brick and the right Tuma. They actually taste quite similarly, though the Tuma is quite salty. It's mostly just a cold, creamy, salty substance that would indeed be great on a sandwich, but perhaps not with a salty tasting meat. By itself, you may need water. 

There ya have it, today's random findings and a cute kid to boot. Stay tuned for the fancy kids at tonight's Cotillion! 


No comments: